Selected Scripture

  • REV. 19:16 AND HE HAS ON HIS ROBE AND ON HIS THIGH A NAME WRITTEN: "KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS."

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Sufficient Grace


 2 Corinthians 12:6-10 (NKJV)
6 For though I might desire to boast, I will not be a fool; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, lest anyone should think of me above what he sees me to be or hears from me. 7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

V:7  And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Paul was given a "thorn in the flesh" What was his "thorn in the flesh?" The word "thorn" means either thorn or stake. Just what the thorn was is not known. Doesn't really matter what the thorn was. It was from Satan’s messenger to torment Paul. It was causing him grief.
Paul had experienced the spiritual power of Christ as few have ever done. God had given Paul deep and intimate spiritual experiences. There was the danger that he might begin to think too highly of himself; therefore, God gave Paul a "thorn in the flesh" to keep him humble.  Paul wanted deliverance and relief; he wanted God to remove the thorn. Why? It hindered him!
Because...• It pricked and bothered him. It distracted him from his ministry. It made him appear personally weak and sickly. It caused him emotional pain as well as physical!
V:8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.   Note that Paul prayed three times for God to remove the thorn. Jesus Christ had also prayed three times for the suffering of the cross to be removed (cp. Matthew 26:36-46).
  Paul says there were three reasons why God refused to remove the thorn from his flesh.
V:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. First, God wanted to guard against Paul's being puffed up. God can’t use puffed up people! They are too full of themselves. When we are full of pride we are not looking to God. God hates pride! (Prov. 6:16-17) Pride ends in destruction (Proverbs 16:18). Greatest enemy of mankind!
V:9  And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Second, God wanted to reveal His power in Paul. The weaker the vessel, the more God is glorified when the vessel really seeks Christ continually for the power and grace he needs to be able to live for and serve Him in spite of his weakness. Less we are seen; the more Christ Jesus is seen.
The apostle John said in John 3:30 (NKJV) He must increase, but I must decrease.
Note God's answer to Paul’s prayer: "My grace is sufficient for thee" (V:9) the presence, love, favor, and blessings of God are sufficient to help the believer walk through any suffering. The word "sufficient" means plenty of the power or strength to withstand any danger. God's grace within the believer can carry the believer through anything. It may be either physical or spiritual attacks; but no matter: God's grace is sufficient to see us through whatever the thorn is.
  "My strength is made perfect in weakness" (V:9) the weaker the believer, the more God can demonstrate His strength. If a man is self-sufficient, he does not need God; but if he is weak, he needs God: the help, provision, and sufficiency of God. One of the most startling things about 2 Corinthians 12 is that this is not an exception to how God works; it is the rule. The pattern in God’s work on earth is to channel his power through human weakness. God does not skim off the top ten percent—the most gifted, the most articulate, the smartest, the best educated—for significance in the kingdom.
He picks the basest or lowest. The no bodies in the world’s view. He picks people like you and me.
 V:10 "Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities that the power of Christ may rest upon me."  Note the point of this statement: infirmities or weaknesses are purposeful. The believer suffers for a reason: that the power of Christ may be demonstrated and clearly seen in his life. The word "rest” means to fix a tent upon. The idea is that the power of Christ rests upon the suffering believer just as the Shekinah glory dwelt in the holy place of the tabernacle. What a glorious thought! The strength of Christ fixes itself upon and dwells within the believer—filling him with the Shekinah glory of God—when he suffers. He gives an extra amount of strength and power for His purposes.
 Third, God wanted to teach Paul to live "for Christ's sake." When Paul suffered some infirmity or weakness, it gave Christ the chance to infuse power into Paul and to overcome the weakness for Paul. Paul's infirmity gave Christ an opportunity to prove Himself. The power of Christ can overcome any weakness or temptation for the believer. 2 Corinthians 12:10 (NLT) That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
When the believer is weak, he is strongest. How? By the power of Christ that rests on him. And the power of Christ is much stronger than all the combined forces of mankind. Christ’s clear manifestation of his power in Paul’s weakness would become a source of inspiration and a reason to praise and glorify Jesus. Truly when Paul was weak really then he was strong.
The fact that Christ’s power is displayed in weak people should give us believers courage.  Instead of relying on our own energy, effort, or talent, we should turn to Christ for wisdom and strength. Weakness not only helps a person develop Christian character; it also deepens that person’s worship, because admitting weakness affirms Christ’s inexhaustible strength.
  The great need of all believers’ is to acknowledge their weakness before the Lord. When we do, the Lord pours His strength into the believer's mind and heart. The Lord empowers the believer to overcome and conquer all infirmities and weaknesses.
You are just the kind of person God loves to use. The power of God—will give you power to kill sin, power to walk in the fullness of the Spirit,
power to speak courageously about Jesus,
power to love the unlovely,
power to help lead many to Christ,
power to make your life count—such power is for inadequate people.

INVITATION: Acknowledge your frailty to God. Look to the Savior. He embraced the weakness of the cross so that you and I, weak sinners, can embrace and experience the blood-bought power of God—now. Have you been born again? If you don’t know Christ as your Savior, you can’t experience the grace and sufficient strength He brings. Make sure you personally know Him as your Savior. Ask Jesus to forgive your sins and invite Him into your heart to take charge of your life and you will be glad you did!


No comments:

Post a Comment